Saturday 13 April 2013

Sepia Saturday 172

 
The Kinder Scout Trespass.
 
It has been a manic month so far, hence my non appearance.  This week's prompt, however, is to close to my heart for me to simply let it pass with out making some effort to high-light it, no matter how small. Also it comes and particularly opportune moment as it is the  81st. anniversary in a week or so.   Did Alan plan it that way or is it a simple coincidence?
 
 


The Kinder Scout trespass was lead by industrial workers from the factories and mills of Manchester and Sheffield, and can be said to have lead to the eventual  Freedom to Roam Act.  They sought to question why rich land-owners should have the right to deny access to some of the most picturesque country side to the enjoyment of the masses so they could shoot over it for 12 days a year.

To get a real understanding of it's role in British Working Class history and rambling, now perhaps a more middle-class pursuit, I urge you all to visit;

http://www.kindertrespass.com/



10 comments:

  1. At least most are wearing proper footwear, which is more than I can say for many of the 'hiking' contributions this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how well that would go over in America...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of that event before. The name made be envision "kind Boy Scouts" before I read the rest of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unlike Postcardy I read this exactly as it was meant to sound, because I already knew of Kinder Scout. However, it's always worth being reminded of the 'right to roam' and don't they look a determined but happy bunch in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers for the Kinder Scout trespass!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect choice for the theme. Years ago, as a young American living in the UK, I thought this right to ramble anywhere around Britain was the most marvelous thing. It's so different from the US where most land is restricted. Reading the history on the link was fascinating as I did not know of its working class origin. How true is that now, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read about the Kinder Scout Trespass before. I have some photos of my Dad on a Boy Scout excursion there as a child, I guess in the mid-1930s, not long after this event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intriguing movement!
    Given here police do not look kindly upon large gatherings,
    I suspect this would be a short lived movement.
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Social Change AND Exercise! Beats any modern private Gym! Great Photo Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "From Here to Sepia" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/05/sites-to-see_31.html

    ReplyDelete